BOSTON — Thursday, October 4, 2018 — The Massachusetts Health Connector and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) today announced a strategic alliance to help reach more small business owners across the Commonwealth with Health Connector for Business and SBA resources.
“This alliance will bring resources on affordable health coverage to more small businesses across Massachusetts,” said Health Connector Executive Director Louis Gutierrez. “Through this partnership, more companies in Massachusetts can learn how to give their employees the opportunity to pick their own plan, while saving their company money.”
The alliance will also provide SBA with an additional avenue to supply small businesses with information about SBA’s business-support services.
“We know that when small businesses have access to health coverage they can grow and thrive for the long term,” said SBA Massachusetts Deputy District Director David Polatin, who joined Gutierrez for a signing ceremony. “We look forward to helping Health Connector reach diverse business owners across the state to help connect them with critical resources, including SBA services.”
Health Connector for Business was launched in November 2017, and provides small businesses with 50 or fewer employees new ways to save money and offer unique flexibility to employees. Companies that shop through Health Connector for Business save 22 percent on premiums compared to companies that shop elsewhere, and can earn an additional 15 percent rebate through the Wellness Track program. The average rebate in 2018 is $3,200. Through Health Connector for Business, companies can set their premium costs, while offering employees the ability to pick a plan that best meets their needs, a flexibility offered to small businesses nowhere else.
Under the Strategic Alliance, SBA will:
- Make available to Health Connector information on SBA’s partners, Small Business Development Centers, SCORE and the Women’s Business Centers
- Provide speakers to participate in Health Connector workshops, conferences, seminars and other activities to discuss SBA financing, government contracting and other business topics
- Invite Health Connector clients to SBA-sponsored trainings; and assign a local point of contact to serve as liaison between SBA and the Health Connector
Under the Strategic Alliance, Health Connector will:
- Work with SBA’s Resource Partners to provide information to members about health services available to small businesses
- Inform the Health Connector’s small business members of SBA’s programs and services, including referrals to SBA’s Resource Partners, when appropriate
- Provide speakers for SBA-sponsored events; and assign a local point of contact to serve as liaison between the Health Connector and SBA
Health Connector for Business is a state-based health insurance marketplace that makes affordable coverage possible for small business owners in Massachusetts. Learn more at www.MAhealthconnector.org/Middlesex.