The Cape Cod Hospital Blood Bank is in urgent need of O Negative blood donors. While all blood types are needed on a regular basis, there is currently a shortage of O Negative, in particular.
“Type O Negative is the universal blood type, meaning that anyone can receive your blood” said Jonathan DeCoste, Senior Blood Donor Recruiter at Cape Cod Healthcare. “It used in transfusions for any other blood type. It is routinely in short supply and in high demand it can be by hospitals for emergency transfusions. If you or someone you know has O negative blood, please consider making an appointment at one of our upcoming blood drives.”
Cape Cod Healthcare blood drives are scheduled in the coming weeks, including:
- Feb. 11: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m., 13th Annual U.S. Marine Corporal Nicholas G. Xiarhos Memorial Blood Drive, Cape Cod & Islands Association of Realtors, 22 Mid-Tech Drive, W. Yarmouth
- Feb. 12: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., 13th Annual U.S. Marine Corporal Nicholas G. Xiarhos Memorial Blood Drive, Cape Cod & Islands Association of Realtors, 22 Mid-Tech Drive, W. Yarmouth
- Feb. 14: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Northside United Methodist Church, 701 Airline Road, Brewster
- Feb. 15: 12 noon – 6 p.m., Chatham Works, 323 Orleans Road, N. Chatham
- Feb. 16: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Federated Church of Orleans, 162 Main St., Orleans
- Feb. 22: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., Brewster Police Department, 631 Harwich Road,
- Feb. 23: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Orleans Police Department, 99 Eldredge Park Way,
- Feb. 24: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Falmouth Hospital – Burwell Conference Room, 100 Ter Heun Drive, Falmouth
- Feb. 27: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., John Wesley United Methodist Church, 270 Gifford St., Falmouth
- Feb. 28: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Barnstable Police Department Community Blood Drive, 1200 Phinneys Lane, Hyannis
The Nicholas G. Xiarhos Blood Donor Center inside Cape Cod Hospital is open by appointment from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Appointments are required at all blood drives. To make an appointment for the Nicholas G. Xiarhos Blood Donor Center, call 508-862-5663. To make an appointment at an upcoming blood drive, visit the Blood Donor Portal: https://srt.capecodhealth.org/donorportal/