The Harwich Fund of The Cape Cod Foundation recently awarded $18,500 in grants to eight nonprofit organizations serving the Harwich community. These grants will help provide new, warm outerwear for local children, enriching arts/craft activities for seniors, community-wide cultural events, alternative programs for at-risk youth, and services to increase housing stability among Harwich residents in need.
“Through generous donations from a growing network of individual donors, we have now awarded over $55,000 in grants to help strengthen the critical framework that supports the Harwich community since the fund was established,” said Brian Scheld, chair of The Harwich Fund Advisory Committee.
Scheld noted, however, that the needs in Harwich exceed what the fund has been able to do with its current resources.
“While our Harwich Helping Harwich strategy has made an impact in our community, we see that the needs are growing exponentially. This year, grant requests exceeded $58,000; our current grant capacity could only fund 30% of these requests. That’s why future fundraising is critical,” Scheld said.
This year’s grant recipients are:
- Harwich Children’s Fund, $5,000, for the Winter Outerwear Drive for Harwich youth in need
- Homeless Prevention Council, $2,500, for Personalized Case Management for Harwich families
- Behavioral Health Innovators, $2,500, for the Positive Alternative to School Suspension (PASS) Program at Monomoy High School
- The Cape Cod Theater Company $2,500, for The Town Read Project uniting the Harwich Junior Theatre, Brooks Library, The 204 Cultural Arts Municipal Building, and the Harwich Elementary School
- Friends of the Harwich Council on Aging, $2,500, for the Cultural Arts Program targeted to Harwich seniors to enrich creative expression
- Pleasant Bay Community Boating, $1,500, for field trips for Harwich Elementary and Middle School students
- Harwich Chamber of Commerce, $1,500, for the inaugural production of A Cape Cod Christmas Carol in Harwich
- Colorful Kidz, $500, for room makeovers for Harwich children in need
To donate to The Harwich Fund, visit harwichfund.org or send a check payable to The Harwich Fund to: The Cape Cod Foundation; 261 Whites Path, Unit 2; South Yarmouth, MA, 0266